Creative sound exploration, beat-making, mixing, and introduction to mastering, sampling and more for students 13 – 21.
Learn to make music the modern way through Walker|West’s Digital Music Production Program (DMP). DMP is designed to introduce young students to a whole new world of musical possibilities, through new cutting-edge musical technology. Register today!
DMP is offered in-person, where each student will be placed according to their age and experience. Our program is designed for up to 6 students per group.
FOR BEGINNERS: (no experience necessary)
- In-person: Tuesday 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM | Kavyesh Kaviraj and Kevin Washington
FOR EXPERIENCED STUDENTS: (some experience necessary)
- In-person: Thursday 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM | Kavyesh Kaviraj and Kevin Washington
Tuition & Attendance
Every accepted student will receive a full-tuition scholarship to attend the Spring and Summer semester sessions of DMP. DMP is funded by the FS Foundation and the National Basketball Association Foundation.
*Accepted students will need to commit to the full session, absences will need to be planned and discussed with instructors.
The program is focused on creating a launchpad for students interested in electronic music-making. Students will learn a comprehensive collection of skills, including:
- Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) skills: professional music creation software
- younger students are introduced to Garageband, older students will work with Logic Pro X
- Essential DAW workflow
- Audio recording: microphone technique, signal flow, operating audio gear, audio fundamentals
- MIDI techniques: technique and tools.
- DMP is rooted in the African-American cultural experience that shapes everyday how music is made. With genres like R&B, Hip-hop, Rap and Pop, trailblazing music producers and their skills have lit the way, and students will learn about these modern techniques through the newest technology. Through DMP our dedicated Walker|West faculty strives to put each student on the road to artistic and performing success.
- MIDI allows students to enter musical information through electronic instruments
- Manipulating MIDI, with keyboards and control devices, and advanced MIDI manipulation
- Music Fundamentals: basics of programming/performance of rhythm and keyboard
- Artistry: Guest artists break down their musical and production expertise and inspire students to create fearlessly.
DMP offers students the opportunity to work with Walker|West’s incredible faculty. Each of our instructors have years of experience with music production, and professional careers that go beyond just music performance or electronic music production, creating bodies of work representative of both.
Tech for the Session
Our state-of-the-art classroom is equipped with Apple desktop computers, industry standard digital audio workstation software and audio/recording devices that are available for student use every day. Limited access to the computer lab is available before, and after class, with supervised access.
Students will need:
- All tech is provided for In-person students
- Recommended for home use: a MIDI Keyboard, audio interface, microphone and an Apple Computer
DMP also has devices for student lending that students can request to borrow for the length of the program. For questions about device, software, or session schedule contact Student Services (email@example.com)
Careers in Music Production
Walker West has partnered with Hamline University’s Certification in Music Production department, and will be providing scholarships for students to pursue a career in music production. Career opportunities include live sound engineer, boom operator, recording engineer and more. Start your path to an exciting career in music production at Hamline University!
To learn more about DMP, tech resources, scholarships, and community partnerships, contact Program Director, Katia Cardenas