Creative sound exploration, beat-making, mixing, and introduction to mastering, sampling and more for students 13 – 21.
Learn to make music the modern way through Walker|West’s Digital Music Program (DMP). DMP is designed to introduce young students to a whole new world of musical possibilities, through new cutting-edge musical technology. Classes begin September 13 with rolling admission.
This year DMP is offering both an online-only and in-person structure, where each student will be placed according to their age and experience. Our program is designed for 6 students per group.
FOR BEGINNERS: (no experience necessary)
- Online: Tuesday 5 – 6:30 | Solomon Parham & Ernest Bisong
- In-person: Tuesday 5-6 | Kavyesh Kaviraj and Kevin Washington
FOR EXPERIENCED STUDENTS: (some experience necessary)
- Online: Thursday 5 – 6:30 | Solomon Parham & Ernest Bisong
- In-person: Thursday 5-6 | Kavyesh Kaviraj and Kevin Washington
Tuition & Attendance
Every accepted student will receive a full-tuition scholarship to attend the Spring and Summer semester sessions of DMP. DMP is funded by the FS Foundation.
*Accepted students will need to commit to the full session, absences will need to be planned and discussed with instructors.
The program is focused on creating a launchpad for students interested in electronic music-making. Students will learn a comprehensive collection of skills, including:
- Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) skills: professional music creation software
- younger students are introduced to Garageband, older students will work with Logic Pro X
- Essential DAW workflow
- Audio recording: microphone technique, signal flow, operating audio gear, audio fundamentals
- MIDI techniques: technique and tools.
- DMP is rooted in the African-American cultural experience that shapes everyday how music is made. With genres like R&B, Hip-hop, Rap and Pop, trailblazing music producers and their skills have lit the way, and students will learn about these modern techniques through the newest technology. Through DMP our dedicated Walker|West faculty strives to put each student on the road to artistic and performing success.
- MIDI allows students to enter musical information through electronic instruments
- Manipulating MIDI, with keyboards and control devices, and advanced MIDI manipulation
- Music Fundamentals: basics of programming/performance of rhythm and keyboard
- Artistry: Guest artists break down their musical and production expertise and inspire students to create fearlessly.
DMP offers students the opportunity to work with Walker|West’s incredible faculty. Each of our instructors have several years of experience with music production, and professional careers that go beyond just music performance or electronic music production, creating bodies of work representative of both.
Tech for the Session
Our state-of-the-art classroom is equipped with high-end computers, software and devices that are available for student use every day after class, with supervised access.
Students will need:
- Online: (required for home use) a MIDI Keyboard (+ accessories), a Mac (free Garageband software recommended)
- In-person:(recommended for home use) a MIDI Keyboard and a Mac
DMP also has devices for student lending that students can request to borrow for the length of the program. For questions about device, software, or session schedule contact Student Services (email@example.com)